This week The Freshmen Series crew talked about ‘first week’ issues such as making friends, joining clubs and getting to know your professors.
Some important things to take note of when it comes to staying safe on campus.
- UH Police Number: 713-743-3333
- This also for a security escort and to report crime
- Fire Marshal’s Office: 713-743-1635
- If you smell gas, find a fire hazard or see/smell a fire
- Parking Enforcement: 713-743-5489
- Call if you’re locked in your car, need directions, or are having any car trouble.
- My Safe Campus: 1-800-716-9007
- To report an incident and remain anonymous
- “The Buddy System”
- Always take someone with you when going back to your dorm room or car
Parking & Transportation
- Commuters; learn how to manage your time!
- Use the app “Double Map” to access Cougar Trax to see where your shuttle is at
- Bayou Oaks and Cullen Oaks Shuttle Schedules
- Monday-Thursday from 7am- 11pm
- Fridays 7am-9pm
- PGH and Student Center ERP hours
- Monday-Thursday @ 7am-11pm
- Friday @ 6am-9pm
Life on campus
Students who live on campus need to respect their roommate’s time and be responsible. Be organized and try to make the room ‘livable.’ Try to keep in close contact with your resident advisers as well. They will advise certain aspects of living on campus, plus they are students too.
There are plenty of eating locations on campus. Some of the more popular ones that accept meal plans are the Student Center South, campus cafeterias and the Satellite (which reopens October). You can also get food from some clubs that you participate in, other clubs will also sell food to for fundraising, so look out for that. It also does not hurt to ask family for some home-cooked food to take with you.
Unfortunately, last night’s podcast had difficulties recording, so we are going solo this week. Next week I intend to post the recorded show for the following episodes.
If you guys want to keep up with the show, you can follow & tweet us @FreshmenSeries and if you want to share your experiences, email us at [email protected]. All emails will be confidential and not be shared with anybody. With your permission, I will tell your story on the air and all your information will remain as anonymous.